Eligibility and criteria for disqualification as a member or as a director are shown below.
ELIGIBILITY TO BECOME CHAIR
A person may be appointed as a Chair only if;
- They are a member of a Public Constituency
- The Public Constituencies are the areas of Barrow and West Cumbria (Area 1), Lancashire, North West of England and North Yorkshire (Area 2) and South Lakeland and North Cumbria (Area 3)
- Where any of the Trust’s hospitals includes a medical or dental school provided by a university, they exercise functions for the purposes of that university, and
- They are not disqualified by virtue of provisions in the Trust's Constitution as set out below:
BOARD OF DIRECTORS– DISQUALIFICATION
The following may not become or continue as a member of the Board of Directors:
- A person is not considered a fit or proper person, that is, they do not satisfy the requirements set out in paragraph (3) of Regulation 5 of The Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Regulated Activities) Regulations 2014;
- A person who has been adjudged bankrupt or whose estate has been sequestrated and (in either case) has not been discharged
- A person who has made a composition or arrangement with, or granted a trust deed for, his creditors and has not been discharged in respect of it
- A person who within the preceding five years has been convicted in the British Islands of any offence if a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period of not less than three months - (without the option of a fine) was imposed on him
- A person in relation to whom a moratorium period under a debt relief order applies under Part 7A of the Insolvency Act 1986
- A person who, on the basis of disclosures obtained through a Disclosure and Barring Service check, is not considered suitable by the Chair and Chief Executive, with appropriate advice from Human Resources, to become or continue as a director
- A person who is a member of the Council of Governors or a governor or Director of an NHS body;
- A person who is the spouse, partner, parent or child of a member of the Board of Directors of the Foundation Trust;
- A person who is the subject of a disqualification order made under the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986;
- A person whose tenure of office as a Chairman or as a member or director of an NHS body has been terminated on the grounds that their appointment is not in the interests of the health service;
- A person who within the preceding two years has been dismissed, otherwise than by reason of redundancy, from any paid employment with an NHS body
To become a member of the Trust, click here.
To view the Trust Constitution in full, click here.