University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay NHS Foundation Trust was established on 1 October 2010, as a public benefit corporation authorised under the Health and Social Care (Community Health and Standards) Act 2003. We are a provider of acute hospital provider services from three main hospital sites:
- Furness General Hospital (FGH), Barrow;
- Royal Lancaster Infirmary (RLI) Hospital, Lancaster; and
- Westmorland General Hospital (WGH), Kendal
The Trust also operates services from Queen Victoria Hospital (Morecambe) and Ulverston Health Centre.
The Trust is a University Hospital and works closely with higher education colleagues, not just in terms of healthcare degrees (medical, nursing, AHPs) but working with the internationally reknowned Lancaster University Management School on their leadership development programmes.
The Trust serves a diverse population of circa 365,000 spread across a largely rural area of over 1,000 square miles of South Cumbria and North Lancashire, with a 47 miles trip between the main acute hospital sites in Lancaster and Barrow. The Trust currently employs over 4650 WTE staff, employed across a wide range of occupations and specialties.
The Trust faces significant financial challenges in the same way as all NHS providers, but these are magnified by the rurality, geography, logistics and the poor condition of some parts of the estate.
Our general hospital services consist of:
- 24 hour emergency services (FGH and RLI)
- Intensive, high dependency and coronary care
- Medical services (including general, elderly care, medical oncology, rheumatology and dermatology)
- Surgical services (including general, orthopaedics, ophthalmology, urology, oral and maxillo- facial)
- Child Health
- Allied Health Professional services (including physiotherapy and occupational therapy)
- Clinical support and diagnostic services (including pathology, pharmacy and radiology)
We also provide a range of services to the wider population of Cumbria and Lancashire, including:
- Breast screening (for Cancer) - South Cumbria and Lancashire
- Bowel screening (for Cancer) - Cumbria and North Lancashire
In a groundbreaking collaboration in July 2016, UHMB, Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and Waterloo House GP practice formally developed a partnership to support sustainable clinical services to the Millom community. The partnership sees the existing GPs remaining as partners in the surgery, ensured the retention of the community hospital, provided clinical leadership for patients within the practice and business support from the Trust
As part of the next phase in the development of Bay Health & Care Partners, UHMB is working closely with Morecambe Bay CCG to develop an Integrated Services Care Group to oversee and provide primary and community services across Morecambe Bay.
What makes us different
- We have used the lessons of the past to build strong partnerships and a commitment to high quality services
- We understand patient needs, the importance of their well being
- We recognise the power of engaging with our local population on what matters to them
- We are at the forefront of new care models, particularly around the development of an accountable care system
- We truly believe that our people are our greatest asset – we can only do what we do when they bring their best selves to work every day